Business Cards

My Dad needed new business cards, so I set two designs for him, and used the opportunity to set one for the press. Below is a proof sheet of our card with notations and possible crop. "Wider" refers to a fancier 'R' supplied with this Gill Sans that has an extended shoulder and tail that was used on the final card. 

 

image.jpg

Business cards can be tricky to trim on the guillotine cutter, so I trimmed the paper to exact width to reduce passes. This meant that the forms needed to be spaced properly in relation to each other and then the paper centered on the group. Here they are in the bed: 

 

 

image.jpg

Here's our finished card with the prettier 'R's: 

 

image.jpg

Artcrank Poster- Printing

I forgot to take any shots of transferring the design to the block, clarifying the drawing, or carving the block, so I'll move on to printing (scroll down if you just want to see the finished poster).

Early in the design process I created several watercolor swatches of possible color combinations; these are on the right side of the palette pictured below. I had to try all the bright colors first, before arriving  at the more subdued slate and bronze.

image.jpg

Choosing the right hue and value of the bronze was more difficult, because it would interact with the blue conceptually, as well as physically, as a result of layering. Below are several test prints, in which I inked select areas of the block with a small brayer, before committing to inking the press.  In order: too dark, too red, pretty close. 

image.jpg

Here's the block in the press bed with a sheet in the grippers about to be printed. 

image.jpg

I made a few changes to the design once I saw the composition of values across the surface; the largest involved carving some tread into the tire to mitigate its dominance. Here, I'm testing the idea by cutting out one proof and placing it over  the initial color. 

image.jpg

And, the final poster, trimmed.

 

image.jpg

Artcrank Poster - Planning

I was accepted to design a poster for Artcrank DC, an art sale of bicycle themed prints. After much sketching I finally decided to create a reduction cut depicting all the items I bring when taking my folding bike on the MARC train to work in DC.

Below is the plan. I had too much negative space at first and scaled everything up. For the smaller items it was easiest to scan them into the computer, scale them, and print them out.  To get a sense of the "weight" of different items, I put a blue wash on everything, then cut them out and moved them around until I arrived at a composition I liked. Here they are pasted down in the final composition:

 

 

image.jpg